Overclocking a regular or unlocked CPU helps to run it faster than the regular speed.
But what about a locked CPU, how to overclock a locked CPU?
Is it even possible to overclock a locked CPU?
The answer is no. You cannot overclock a locked CPU. When the companies discontinued the K7 series CPU in 2003, no companies such as AMD or Intel offered a CPU that you can mod physically to unlock a locked multiplier.
So what can you do?
Well, you have to buy something that has this feature enabled. But I am afraid there are no such companies available to my knowledge.
How To Overclock A Locked CPU without BIOS?
You can overclock your CPU without BIOS just by following the steps shown below.
- First, you need to download Intel XTU. You’ll get it on Intel’s official site.
- After that, you need to close all the running background tabs. At the same time, launch the recently downloaded software.
- It’s time to check the benchmark score of your computer. Note the score to observe if it increases after overclocking.
- Now, tap on the “Advanced Tuning” tab. It’ll tweak the CPU settings of your computer. After that, locate the “Turbo Power Boost Max” and set it to the highest limit. You may get a screen with the command to enable an option. Simply, tap on the enable button.
- You need to slide the processor core ratio and processor cache ratio to the maximum. Then, click on apply and check the benchmark score now. If the speed is increased, that means you’re done.
- There is an alternative of increasing Multipliers or voltage to overclock the CPU without BIOS. Set the reference clock to 100 MHz and visit the Multipliers setting. Increase the multiplier of each core 1x rate. Then, run Benchmark again and see if it’s working.
- Increasing the voltage is also required along with increasing the multipliers. Otherwise, the result can’t touch the overclocked speed of your CPU. Simply, increase the voltage core by 0.1 and check the speed every time using Benchmark.
Frequently Asked Question
This section comes with some popular questions along with the answers on overclocking a locked CPU.
Can I overclock a locked Intel CPU?
No, it’s not possible to overclock any locked CPU. If any Intel CPU is locked, it means you can’t unlock the multiplier. The locked CPUs from Intel come from the factory in locked condition. A locked Intel CPU can’t perform better than its fixed state.
Can you unlock a locked CPU?
A locked CPU directly comes from the manufacturer. They don’t keep any option to unlock it using any hack or something else. You can simply raise the base clock on a locked CPU. But, it’s quite impossible to either unlock or overclock it.
Can you overclock a locked laptop CPU?
Overclocking any locked CPU isn’t possible. If it’s a laptop CPU with a Skylake chip, that’s an exception. Almost every Skylake chip is overclockable on selected motherboards. However, it’s not applicable for all laptop CPUs. Without overclocking, you can get the desired performance from your laptop.
Can you overclock an i5 9400F?
No, in the traditional sense, it’s not possible to overclock an i5 9400F. If you try to push 4.1 GHz frequency to each core, you will fail. Boosting all the 6 cores of an i5 processor gives you the maximum frequency of 3.9 GHz. So, there is no way to overclock it despite it’s unlocked.
Here we attached an informative video about overclocking a locked CPU. watch the video below for better understand:
As you can see, there is no way to overclock a locked CPU. Of course, there are no such benefits you can achieve through overclocking a locked CPU.
That is why my suggestion will be to keep your locked CPU as it is. You will get optimum performance from your locked CPU. So do not waste your time thinking about how to overclock a locked CPU.